Friday, August 14, 2009

Classes versus the masses

Sometimes, all it needs is a few snatches of conversation to get us to explore deeper and fundamental aspects of our daily living. These thoughts remain with us for days as we mull over the issues that came up, explore them from various points of view and also look for resolution. I had this opportunity a couple of days back while I waited in the lobby of a Kolkata guesthouse.

These days, I’m engaged in getting a group of people working with a well known Kolkata NGO to get into the act of writing – the idea is to use it as a tool to learn more about the self and also explore the possibility of writing about others, particularly children, parents, teachers, the educational system at large and so on. What does ‘writing on education’ mean? What does it involve? What place does writing have in our eternal quest for providing meaningful education to all children? Can everyone write? What sort of preparation is required? How do we address the issue of ‘personal and public’? These are some of the questions we are trying to grapple with in the course of the workshops I’m facilitating.

Let me get back to what happened in the lobby. The quick exchange I had with the hotel wallah went like this, with the opening statement made by me.

‘It is raining and the weather’s pleasant isn’t it? Much better than what it was in June.’
‘Yes’, he agreed. ‘It’s also pleasant because the old (pre-1993) vehicles are no longer running on the roads.’
‘I heard about it. This is a recent government decision, right? They did it in Delhi some years ago.’
‘Yes sir. I can feel the difference myself. Pollution has come down by 60%, they say.’
‘Oh…that’s nice.’
‘Sir, the problem is with the masses. They have spoilt our city. I’m a tax payer, but these people reap the benefits. They have polluted the city with their old gaadies.’
‘Ok,’ I nodded, waiting for him to go on. I was not sure if I agreed with him. This exchange was becoming interesting! The hotel wallah had begun taking certain positions which I wanted to examine further.

‘What about their livelihoods then?’ I posed.
‘There are so many jobs in Kolkata, if they are really interested in doing them. We too have a couple of vacancies. When these people don’t come forward, we end up hiring Bangladeshis.’

His masses bashing continued. ‘You know, I was recently reading the speech given by the ITC (Indian Tobacco Company) Chairman. He explains so clearly the steps for global warming – who causes it, how it happens…I’m now convinced it’s the masses and their dirty ways.’

I wondered what wisdom Deveshwar, the ITC chairman had shared on global warming which had so impressed the hotel wallah. Later, I did get to read his 98th annual general body meeting speech of July 2009, in which he says makes all the right noises about global warming. Yet, when he presents the solutions that ITC has proposed or even undertaken in terms of green technology, one cannot help but see the unmistakable emphasis of maintaining soaring profit lines and margins. I wonder to what extent this meshes with issues like environmental sustainability. It certainly merits deeper examination
It’s amusing, isn’t it? One invokes the chairman of a company that manufactures cigarettes for profit when it comes to tackling global warming! Well, I actually do not have a problem with corporations who come forward to tackle issues of grave importance like global warming and climate change. However, from whatever little I know, I wonder if there is much to cheer about regarding their roles – are they actually serious about it? Is there sincere action? The green mantra is great if you want to build a ‘do-gooder’ image. Beneath the image, fundamentally little will have changed. It is indeed interesting that we look to corporate leaders whose sole aim is profit making at all costs, for direction! We can discuss many more examples like ITC, perhaps. My cursory observation shows that while ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’ is the tag used for undertaking a wide range of efforts (in education, health, agriculture, micro-finance and so on), the nature of the real businesses does not change – in the form of SEZs, big dams, power stations, mining, cutting of forests, software exports and a myriad other activities (often aided and abetted by lax government laws and even laxer implementation), corporations ‘Rule the World’, as David Korten puts it in his very disturbing book ‘When Corporations Rule the World’.

Anyway, since Mr. Hotel wallah was keen on proving his point, he invoked another dubious example. ‘You’ve heard of Alyque Padamsee (the ad man)?’ Before I could nod my ‘Yes,’ he went on. ‘He has written about what is happening in Bombay. With all their hard earned money and their taxes, they try to clean the city. But these people come from all over the place and set up their jhuggi-jhopdies right next to the posh localities.’ I wondered if he wanted to complement Bal Thackeray and Raj Thackeray’s Bombay cleansing efforts. But he didn’t get that far. I wondered if Kolkata had their counterparts as well.

I was convinced that a deeper engagement with this man was necessary. My first question was on the energy and pollution front. Quickly, I asked: ‘Do you know that using an A.C consumes about thirty times the power used by an ordinary fan?’ He looked as if he didn’t know. I went on: ‘People like us who use AC’s are also polluting the earth, much more than the masses.

He didn’t quite understand, and countered: ‘But it doesn’t pollute the air, right, like the old taxis and auto-rickshaws?’

‘That may be the case if you look at it superficially,’ I pointed out. ‘What about thermal pollution?’ That is also another form of pollution which we don’t discuss much about. The real damage these high energy devices cause is elsewhere, far away from our cushy homes and hotels. From where do we get so much power to run our ACs? From some coal powered or hydro powered plant. Running an AC means burning that much more coal. Putting up a giant hydro project means that much more displacement of people who we call the masses.’ I was trying hard to remember some post independence statistics quoted by Arundhati Roy in her article ‘For the Greater Common Good’. 33 million, if I remember right, by very conservative estimates are the number of people displaced by big dams (at 10000 people per dam X 3300 big dams) since Independence.

‘But we cannot do without AC’s in this kind of weather’, he protested.
‘That’s a lifestyle issue as well’, I pointed out. ‘How can we blame the masses alone, when we are doing more damage?’

Some silence. It brought us face to face with the unresolved conflicts and dilemmas of our own lives. When we choose to face these conflicts, silence is perhaps a good way to begin with. Beneath that silence, there is a cauldron of thoughts, reactions, justifications and counter reactions all of which need sorting out. But the truth stares at us in the face and we cannot afford to deflect it with a cacophony of arguments. Martin Lings, the Islamic scholar, has put it beautifully:

‘If it can be said that man collectively shrinks back more and more from the truth, it can also be said that on all sides the truth is closing in more and more upon man. It might almost be said that, in order to receive a touch of It, which in the past required a lifetime of effort, all that is asked of him now is not to shrink back. And yet how difficult that is!”

By then, my colleague arrived to pick me up. ‘And let’s think about why is it that the masses have come to the cities in the first place’, I managed to say on my way out. ‘Nobody wants to live in sub-human conditions in the cities, but many don’t have a choice…’

I met the hotelier in the evening when I went to collect my room key. ‘I’ve been thinking about your AC point’, he said. Somewhere, I thought, a dent had been made even as we continued making our big carbon footprints for the day.

August 2009
Krishnagiri

Tamilnadu

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://nozevyxy.freewebsitehosting.com/fehaqe.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I earn money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my web site to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]